The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is a government body under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare that monitors and governs the food business in India. All Food Business Operators in India involved in the manufacturing, packing, processing, storage, distribution and sale of food and consumable products must compulsorily be registered or licensed with FSSAI. FSSAI aims to restrict food adulteration and sub-standard products by quality checks. FSSAI is responsible for protecting and promoting public health through the regulation and supervision of food safety.
Role of Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI)
The main role of FSSAI is to regulate and monitor, manufacture, processing, distribution, sale and import of food while ensuring safe and wholesome food to the consumers. FSSAI performs the following main functions:
- Prescribing the Standards and Guidelines in relation to food and specified appropriate system for enforcement.
- Specifying limits of additives, contaminants, pesticides & veterinary drug residues, heavy metals, processing aids, mycotoxins, antibiotics and pharmacological active substances and irradiated foods.
- Lay down food labelling standards including claims on health, nutrition, special dietary uses and food category system for foods.
- Lay down methods of sampling, analysis and exchange of information among enforcement agencies prescribing procedures and guidelines for accreditation of certification bodies and laboratories.
- Taking up, summarizing and analysing relevant scientific and technical data on incidence and prevalence of biological or emerging risk, residues of various contaminants, introduction of rapid alert system among others.
- Prescribing the procedures, and the enforcement of quality control in relation to any imported article of food in to India.
- Creating an information network across the country to disseminate rapid reliable and objective information about food safety and issues of concern.
- Providing training programs for persons who are involved or intent to get involved in food business.
Promoting general awareness about food safety and standards and promoting coordination of work on food standards undertaken by International governmental and non-governmental organizations.